Thursday, May 16, 2013

Writing Center: Would You Rather...?




I have to admit that I really didn't do much with literacy centers until about 5 years ago.  Up until then, it was something that always seemed more "primary" than "intermediate" elementary. 

BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!  Centers are what keep me sane (minus the planning and organizing of them).  My students love them, and they have really helped to keep my students engaged, on task, and have allowed them to really take a concept that we have learned and expand it.

So, I created some writing centers.  The one that I'd like to share today is called "Are You Kidding Me?"  It's based off of the game Would You Rather?

I created some of my own Would You Rather Cards and even bought the card game.  I laminated them, cute them out and out them in a tin can,.  Easy so far....

Then came the more difficult part- what do I want the outcome to be for my students?

I developed a planner/organizer in which students have to choose which item they would rather do (for example- Would you rather wear boots all summer or sandals all winter?).  They have to write down their choice and think of three reasons why they chose this.  Then, they have to list three details to defend each reason.  So, it became an expository/persuasive type or writing.  I created and gave them a rubric so they could do the next step- the official writing!

This is what amazed me.  I was so shocked at the increadible writing that they did.  Some used humor, some were extremely serioius, and some were a combination of both.  They were so fun to read a share with each other. 

So, I am now trying this with only 6 days left of school, and becuase of the timing I have to spruce it up a bit.  Today, students paired up, and went through the cards until they found one that they disagreed on.  Then, they started their organizers.  We will start the writing tomorrow with the editing and final copies to follow next week.  The new part of the assignment is that they will have to convince the rest of the class that their opinion is the more desireable one.  They will present their writing to the class, and the students will vote for which person convinced them the most.  This is definitely more persuasive writing than expository.  I'm excited to see how it turns out.  They could't stay quiet today becuase they kept telling each other why their choice was better. 

If you'd like to check out these materials, click here.

Click here to preview an entire set of writing centers.


Upper Elementary Writing Centers with Rubrics, Organizer, and Writing Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment